Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Dog I Share My Life With

Three years ago my daughters and I went to the Humane Society to adopt a puppy.  There was an adorable girl beagle puppy there, so sweet, just right.  We got the paperwork going.  Before we left we looked at the other dogs.  It was so noisy from their excited barking that we had to shout to hear each other.  But one little dog wasn't barking.  He was cowering in his cage, just trembling.  He was a beagle too, a year old, and his name was Barkley.  I looked into his big, brown, sad eyes and knew I had to adopt him instead.  It worked out well since a woman who'd recently lost her old beagle really wanted the little puppy.  Yes, he'd obviously been treated very badly but we didn't get his exact story. 

So three weeks later we were approved and took Barkley home.  It was rough at first, but he is my best buddy now.  He is still very afraid of a lot of things, but he's very brave too.  He loves   Meaty Bones and rawhide chewies, cuddling on the couch, running outside, and playing with dog friends.  

Silly Barkley:


Brave Barkley:
 


Barkley when it's his night to cook - notice the scowl.  He isn't fond of cooking.  


  

Ready for the Renaissance Festival:



He is an angel :)


2 comments:

  1. You are so wonderful for adopting the one who needed love and care, rather than the puppy. I wish more people were like you! He's adorable and very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mary, I just love him.

    ReplyDelete